2008년 12월 31일 수요일

#12 What reflections and connections can you make with this novel?



I enjoyed reading Don Richardson’s real life accounts with the Sawi tribe in Iran Jaya, especially because it was full of new ideas and culture that I never encountered with in my life. Although I have read some of fictional work on the culture practiced in such primitive areas, the real incidents in Peace Child were more exciting and fascinating. Prior to reading the book, I had a prejudice that primitive tribes like the Sawi would not have a social structure because they only depended on the physical necessity, according to my naïve opinion. However, I discovered that they are, too, a civilized group of people who value and honor ideas, though they might have different perspectives. I learned through Peace Child that I should attempt to be objective in judging people because I realized that even primitive tribes have values that they base their lives upon. Judging someone with prejudice would only hinder us from seeing the true character of that person.


The only connection I can make with this book is the accounts of the Twelve Disciples, who learned from Jesus Christ about the God’s overwhelming power and love for us. As the Disciples were called to spread the word of God to the end of the world, Don Richardson was also challenged to sacrifice a portion of his life in order to spread the word of God to the primitive tribe called the Sawi. The efforts he made for the Sawi tribe, such as learning the Sawi language and inventing Sawi alphabets, to understand the concepts and values in Christianity are comparable to the contribution made by the Disciples. Don Richardson made a significant stroke in the history of faith. As Don Richardson demonstrated his faith through his actions, the missionaries around the world should also be encouraged and challenged to take risks in order to prove their faith.

댓글 없음: