2008년 12월 31일 수요일

What factors of your native culture have informed your religious world view? Explain the impact of these factors


I believe that the culture in which we live in affects the way we live our life. For me, I was born and raised in Korea for more than 12 years. During this time period, the Korean culture had permeated and soon became the basis of my beliefs, values, attitude, and, in a bigger scope, life. Hence, my identity as Korean had established. However, I also lived in other countries, where very different, unique cultures existed. I lived in the U.S., Scotland and Singapore, where I confronted with many unfamiliar cultures and values. These experiences influenced my life as it provided me with a chance to encounter with diversity of different, unique cultures that agreed and disagreed with my standpoint. As I was at a stage of adolescence, I was flexible in accepting new ideas and beliefs. Thus, I broadened my perspective and allowed new cultures to coexist with my Korean culture. Although different aspects of other cultures became part of my identity, Korean culture still remains dominant among the rest.


The way I lived my life was to be humble and be optimistic. That way, I can adapt to new ideas and incorporate them with the ideas I originally had in order to expand my thoughts. As I learned to accept and understand other different ideas, I tend to observe other religions objectively and try to learn from their good teachings that apply for my life. However, in the center of my heart is Christianity, dominating the rest, as Korean culture is dominant among other pieces of cultures that exist in me. I have my faith in Christianity but I also learn from other religions.


I do not necessarily have a native culture because it is a combination of different cultures. However, it certainly allowed me to see the world differently and thus affected my life. The culture I represent widened my scope of understanding and led me to look at other religions as well as Christianity.

댓글 1개:

African Globe Trotters. :

Your post has given me a great deal of insight into who you are and how interesting your life has been. Keep writing and thinking deeply. Mrs.Mc.